2019 - Burckhardt Compression purchases remaining ownership of Arkos Field Services
November 25: Burckhardt Compression purchased the remaining 60% of Arkos. With this step, Arkos Field Services becomes a 100% subsidiary of Burckhardt Compression and is fully consolidated as of November 25, 2019.
2019 - Burckhardt Compression celebrates its 175 year anniversary
January 9: Burckhardt Compression celebrates its 175 year anniversary. To honor the founder of the company, the street in front of the headquarters has been renamed into Franz-Burckhardt-Strasse.
2017 - stronger presence in Canada
June 26: Burckhardt Compression expands its presence in Canada and acquires CSM Compressor Supplies & Machine Work Ltd based in Edmonton and Drumheller, Alberta. This acquisition helps Burckhardt Compression to expand its presence in the reciprocating compressor service market in Canada.
2016 - further expansion of the business
March 11: Burckhardt Compression gets a majority stake in Shenyang Yuanda Compressor, the leading manufacturer of reciprocating compressors in China. This acquisition extends Burckhardt Compression’s local presence in China to new segments of the market, widens its product range so it can address a broader range of market needs.
September 19: Burckhardt Compression is acquiring IKS Industrie- und Kompressorenservice GmbH, based in Bremen and expands its presence in Germany.
2015 - strong presence in the US
December 22: Minority stake in Arkos Field Services, a US-based, highly experienced provider of compressor services and components to the natural gas industry. Arkos Field Services has 17 strategically placed workshops in the US. Acquiring a stake in Arkos Field Services improves Burckhardt Compression’s access to the US market.
2013 - first Laby®-GI for LNG carriers
First Laby®-GI for dual-fuel two-stroke engines on LNG carriers, those modules enable direct injection of boil-off gas into dual-fuel diesel engines of LNG tankers.
2007 - worldwide strongest compressor, second world record
Burckhardt Compression builds world’s most powerful single frame compressor with 27’500 kW and delivers it 2007 to its customer.
2006 - Going public
June 26: Burckhardt Compression Holding AG is listing its shares at the SIX Swiss Exchange as BCHN. Five members of the management owned 20.9 % of the shares and concluded a shareholders' agreement which is regularly renewed.
2005 - expansion to India
Acquisition of the compressor division of Sulzer India Ltd.
2002 - management buyout
In April 2002, the company becomes legally independent through a management buyout of five members of the management, Sulzer-Burckhardt AG becomes Burckhardt Compression AG.
2001 - Winterthur becomes domicile
Winterthur becomes the company’s domicile. Divestiture of standard high-pressure compressor business to Nord Holding, Germany; the business activities continue under the name Greenfield Ltd.
1999 - first world record
Building and delivering of world’s most powerful Hyper Compressor with 23’500 kW
1990 - relocation
Relocation of the Winterthur workshop and offices to Oberwinterthur.
1969 - Sulzer Group
Through the acquisition of the shares, Burckhardt Engineering Factory becomes part of the Sulzer Group. There are now two sites in Switzerland: Basel and Winterthur. A few years later, the company was renamed into Sulzer-Burckhardt AG.
1951 - huge order intake
Order of 11 Hyper Compressors for LDPE production at 1’500 bara
1948 - order for the US
Special compressor with an end pressure of 4’000 bar for a pilot plant in the US
1935 - first Laby® compressor
Development and sale of the first Labyrinth Piston Compressor (Laby®)
1920 - ammonia synthesis
Start of development of ammonia synthesis compressors for 850 bar (Casale process) and 1000 bar (Claude process)
1883 - first reciprocating compressor
Development and sale of the first single stage, dry-running reciprocating compressor which produced a pressure of 6 bar. Since 1883, Burckhardt Compression focuses on reciprocating compressors.
1844 - founding of the company
In 1844, Franz Burckhardt acquired his first three properties at the Rümlin river in Basel and founded a mechanical workshop. There he manufactured rolling and engraving tools for silk ribbons for the textile industry which flourished that time. Later he expanded his range and produced milling machines, gas-powered machines and bell frames.