Greenhousegas Emissions and Climate Change
Tackling climate change is one of the most pressing challenges globally. The potential consequences of the climate change are severe, some irreversible, and affect individuals, organizations, and states alike. We are increasingly supporting the combat against climate change with our activities and technologies and contribute to the Sustainable Development Goal 13: Climate action.
Burckhardt Compressions is committed to reduce its corporate carbon footprint (Scope 1, 2 and selected Scope 3 categories) and to optimize the Scope 3 emission of the use phase of its solutions. We are therefore concentrating on three focus areas in a first phase:
- Reduce company carbon footprint: Scope 1 and 2 emissions including some directly controllable Scope 3 categories such as business travel
- Evaluate and optimize our impacts in inbound and outbound logistics
- Improve product carbon footprint: Scope 3 emissions in the category of ‘use of sold products’
Our climate policy is our shared basis for all activities relating to climate change. It is part of our broader environmental policy. Our certified environmental management system according to ISO 14001 is our key instrument to reduce our corporate carbon footprint. Each subsidiary takes ownership to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions and sets corresponding targets. Our sites in India and Switzerland for example have established long-term reduction goals as part of industry initiatives or governmental agreements. Our subsidiary Shenyang Yuanda Compressor in China implemented numerous energy efficiency measures when it moved into its new plant.
Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions in the use-phase of our compressor systems are an integral part of our product and innovation management as well as our service offerings.
Energy Use and Efficiency
Reliable and affordable access to energy is a basic need. However, the enormous energy demand is also associated with significant environmental impacts. Our activities induce a significant energy demand in manufacturing and an even higher one in the operation of our compressor solutions. At the same time, our technology is used in the supply, transfer and storage of energy. This gives Burckhardt Compression a high potential to drive the energy transition and thus support the Sustainable Development Goal 7: Affordable and clean energy.
Burckhardt Compression aims to reduce its energy requirements, foster renewable energy and contribute to the energy transition with its technology. In the focus of our approach are:
- energy consumption, efficiency, and quality across the value chain up to the final product delivered to our customers, including renewable energy used in our operations,
- energy consumption and efficiency for our customers to operate our products during the entire lifetime between installation and decommissioning.
Our environmental policy and our certified environmental management system according to ISO14001 are the foundation of all activities related to energy consumption in our value chain. Each subsidiary takes ownership to reduce its energy consumption and sets corresponding targets.
Our Winterthur site follows for example a multi-year project to save energy in our workshop and offices. The factory in Pune as another example won the GreenCo Star Performer Award again. GreenCo is a rating system established by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), which takes a holistic approach to measuring the results of companies’ environmental initiatives.
Energy utilization and efficiency of our compressor systems are an integral part of our product and innovation management. We further improve the energy requirements of both our own and third-party compressor systems over their entire lifetime through our comprehensive service offerings.
Longevity and Cyclability
A significant portion of natural resources are finite, and the extraction of virgin materials is often associated with significant environmental and social impacts. With our activities in manufacturing and servicing compressors, we have a significant potential to contribute to a circular economy and support the Sustainable Development Goal 12: Responsible consumption and production.
Burckhardt Compression promotes a long lifecycle and the circularity of materials of its products and services. Our holistic approach centers around five aspects:
- longevity of new products through engineering, maintainability, and optimized wear parts,
- lifespan of running compressor systems through upgrades, revamps, and prolonged maintenance intervals,
- refurbishment of parts and compressors,
- recycled input materials balancing material requirements and standards,
- recyclability of our products.
We consider longevity and circularity as two interdependent key components for a circular economy. Reconditioning, the recyclability of our compressors and recycled input materials are the three main components we consider to promote the circular economy. We support the short-recycle loop with a full range of revamp and upgrade services as well as our refurbish programs for entire compressors systems. We further repair and re-condition compressor components such as valves in our global network of service workshops. Since iron and steel make up the bulk of our compressor with over 95% of the weight, we mainly work with materials which can be recycled repeatedly. We have increased the monitoring of recycled input materials at our suppliers with the intention of optimizing the proportion of recycled content depending on market availability and material standards to be followed.
To foster longevity, we develop reliable, long-lasting, high-performance compression solutions through our profound engineering expertise. With innovations such as our Persisto® materials and Redura® sealing systems, we achieve maximum performance for efficient, reliable and long-lasting operation in reciprocating compressors. To realize the long lifetime of 30-50 years, we provide the full range of reliable services and durable, in-house developed compressor components.
Environmental Impacts of Application Purposes
Our core competence is mastering gas compression technologies for a wide range of gases. Gas plays a crucial role in the process industry and the energy supply. Through innovative solutions in the development of new compressor systems and components as well as customized services, we can expand the range of applications for our customers to jointly drive the transformation to a sustainable economy. We have the potential to contribute to three of our strategic Sustainable Development Goals (7, 12 and 13).
Burckhardt Compression is committed to the long-term alignment of its business activities with a sustainable economic system. We identified four positive impact areas:
- Climate change mitigation
- Energy transition/renewable energy
- Circular economy
- Environmental pollution prevention
The high functionality of the products made by Burckhardt Compression allows optimal operation of compressor systems in many different processes. We are expanding the areas of application for our customers and supporting the transition to a sustainable economy, through our continuous innovation in compressor systems, materials, components, and services. In numerous application areas, compressors play a critical role in reducing environmental damage and facilitating sustainable energy provision as the following examples demonstrate.
- Marine applications: The dual-fuel propulsion system developed for LNG carriers can be powered by natural gas instead of marine diesel oil. The Laby®-GI fuel gas compressors by Burckhardt Compression compress the boil-off gas from the LNG tanks, which is then injected directly into a diesel engine. The dual-fuel propulsion system for LNG carriers reduces CO2, SOX and NOX emissions by up to 30% when powered by natural gas.
- Hydrogen distribution and fueling applications: We are supporting the development of hydrogen mobility by developing a range of compressors, including diaphragm and reciprocating compressors that meet the specific technical challenges of these new applications. One example is the innovative ring geometries which enable process gas compressors to be operated without oil lubricants for hydrogen trailer filling and in fueling applications for hydrogen-powered trains, trucks, or buses, with pressures of up to 550 bar for larger capacities. The technological advantages of reciprocating compressors for this application are unrivaled efficiency and long service lives.
- Hydrodesulfurization: Process gas compressors per API 618 are used specifically in industrial processes for the desulfurization of fuels.